The Evening Telegram – 1910s

January 7, 1911

A meeting of the Trinity Mutual Marine Insurance Company, Ltd., was held last week to receive official reports of losses and wrecks during the late storm, and to deal with them. The total losses are: Schr. Mary A-, of Southport, Random Sound, Insured for $500; Schr. Prospector, of Brittania, Smith’s Sound, Insured for $1,000; Schr. Willie Martin, of Heart’s Ease, insured for $1,400; Schr. Dianthus, of Trinity, insured for $2,350. Partial wrecks; Schr. Alice Heart’s Delight, damaged to the extent of $900; Schr. Petunia, of Port Rexton, damaged to the extent of $4OO. The necessary collections this year will be about 6%.


February 17, 1911

Seals at Heart’s Ease.

Mr. William Flynn, of Heart’s Ease, sent the following information to Harvey & Co. by last mail: “There are thousands of breeding seals in Random, T.B. Henry Seward and Frank Seward brought in two white coats to-day. A grand sign for this season. They were taken from a pan of ice 20 feet square, surrounded by slob. There are thousands of old ones around. The two young seals were very smart.”

July 13, 1911

From passengers who arrived here by yesterday’s train we learn that a man named Gooby, of Northern Bight, mad a valuable find in a thick wood some miles from that place last week. It was no less than the discovery of the lair of a black fox where there was a brood of young of the same species. In a very ingenious way he caught the old fox and its litter of young alive. He has them now all in his possession and will scoop a rich harvest from them, as the pelts of these foxes are very valuable. He is seriously considering the advisability of starting a fox farm with these and rearing only this particular species.


November 7, 1911

Hospital Patients. Joseph Higgins from Hodge’s Cove. T B. who came here in the Tugela yesterday, was taken to Hospital.


December 2, 1911

Schr. Driven Off.

The schr. Willie Martin, Skipper W. Martin, of Little Heart’s Ease, T. B., was towed in the Narrows this morning by the Ingraham and is now at Steer’s wharf. With eleven men and three women (passengers) the schooner left St. John’s last Wednesday morning early for Heart’s Ease with a load of general winter supplies below decks. A smart clipping breeze from the southwest brought the schooner down off Baccalieu in about seven hours. There a heavy sea struck her quarter and broke off the rudder at the upper pintle. She was going under double reefed canvas at the time. There was no chance of looking up for Trinity Bay, and as the wind had increased, the only thing to do was to give it to her before the wind for Cape Bonavista and try to steer her by the canvas. With a skirt of the mainsail and a double reefed foresail the skipper ran her before the wind, hoping that there would be a chance of the wind favoring him enough to look up for Catalina. The wind quickly chopped from the west and they had to douse the foresail. The wind increased, night set in and the rudderless schooner was driven off the land. To ‘ease her in the drift the anchor was dropped from the bow with 60 fathoms of cable attached. This kept her head to the wind. The night was bitterly cold and the watch on-deck spent a terrible time. When morning broke the schooner was conceived to be 40 miles to the S. E. of Cape Bonavista. The wind kept veering further to the north and the schooner drove south all day Thursday and the following night. Yesterday morning the wind veered round to the N. E., and later in the day more easterly. There was now a chance of getting back to the land if they had any help in steering. The genius of the Newfoundland fishermen now came to the surface. Samuel Martin, the skipper’s brother, invented a yoke made of five-eight iron, a supply of which happened to be on board, and attaching lines to it and passing it out on each side of the quarter, let it go overboard, and by means of a short rope and a buoy attached to the yoke and brought up through the rudder trunk, made the yoke clip tightly around the broken rudder under water and held it in position. The lines on each side of the schooner were used to move the udder in steering. By using this they steered the schooner west all day yesterday and last night, and when daylight broke they saw land and recognized Sugar Loaf. They had been driven off about 60 miles from Cape St. Francis. They saw a steamer last night and flared up a distress signal, but she came towards them for a short while and then passed away to the S. S. E. Mr. Martin deserves to be congratulated on his invention. He no doubt saved the lives of the people on board.


December 9, 1911

Brought in Prisoners. – Const. T. Forsey arrived here by train at 2 a.m. to-day with a lad named Jonah Soper to serve 30 days for larceny. Last spring he broke open a case of goods owned by a man named Vey, of Long Beach, and stole several articles and broke others in it. He was convicted and fined a given a chance to pay up, but did not do so. He must now pay the penalty in serving his term of imprisonment.


The following Letter to the Editor (newspaper unidentified) was entitled “An Acknowledgement from Little Heart’s Ease”.

Dated April 16, 1912, it reads:

Dear Mr. Editor; Twelve months have passed by since I have suffered almost an over-whelming loss – the burning of my home. I have applied for space heretofore to make acknowledgement and it has been kindly granted. Once more I ask permission to insert a few words in your valuable columns. I wish to express my heartfelt thanks to the kind friends of Grates Cove who so nobly assisted me with their contributions. Space will not allow me to give the names of all contributors, but I will make a general acknowledgement to one and all for the handsome donation of $20.40 which amount will help me greatly in rebuilding my home. Well done, Grates Cove! You have rallied to my assistance and words cannot express my warmest thanks to you for so doing. I wish to mention especially Mr. Simeon King, who acted so nobly in taking up my case and went around to appeal to the kind friends who helped me in my necessity. I ask one and all who contributed to accept my heartfelt thanks, and look forward to the time when our Master shall say “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me.

Yours in Christ,

July 15, 1912

DANGEROUSLY ILL — By the express to-day there arrived from Hodge’s Cove. T. B.. Reuben Hiscock who was to Hospital in the ambulance by Mr. Whiteway. The man was brought along in a box-like arrangement, suffers from chill of the legs and is dangerously ill.


August 29, 1912

FOR HOSPITAL Mrs. Lambert, of Hatchet Cove, T.B., arrived by the express to-day very ill and accompanied by her husband. She was taken to hospital by Mr. Eli Whiteway.


December 21, 1912 

 ET Dec 21 1912


The wedding of Mr. R. Gardner, of St. John’s, to Miss M. K. Peddle, of Hodge’s Cove. T. B., took place at that settlement a few days ago. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Mr. Butler. Mr. M. Peddle acted as best man and Miss Alice Peddle assisted the bride. Alter the ceremony an enjoyable time was spent by the friends of the bride and groom who arrived here yesterday. Mr. Gardner will shortly take charge of the S.S. Progress.


May 29, 1913


Under the provisions of Chapter 23, 2 Edward VII., entitled “An Act to  amend the Post Office Act, 1891,” and upon the recommendation of the Board appointed under Section I. thereof, notice is hereby given that, three months after this date, a Proclamation will issue for the alteration of name or re-naming of places as under, that Is to say

  1. That North West Arm, Green Bay, Twillingate District, be re-named BURLINGTON.
  2. That Northern Bight, Random Sound, Trinity Bay, be re-named HILLVIBW.
  3. That Seal Cove, Bonavista Bay, be re-named PRINCETON.
  4. WATSON, Colonial Secretary.

Department of the Colonial Secretary. March 14th. 1913.


May 6, 1914


The taxation of small mill-men, imposed at the last session of the legislature, has excited very considerable discontent in the Northwest Arm and in Southwest Arm of Random, Trinity Bay. This is the part of Trinity Bay especially affected by the tax, and Trinity Bay is one of the bays on which this extra taxation falls especially. It will be remembered that the tax was imposed in the hope of benefiting the revenue some $25,000.

A petition has been circulated and signed by a very large number of the inhabitants of Hodge’s Cove, Queen’s Cove, Island Cove, Hillview, Hatchet Cove, and Loreburn. They declare roundly they will not pay the tax. They state that the exaction of the tax will mean the ruin of their industry and the impoverishment of their families. These men live a hard and most laborious life, especially in hauling logs out of the woods, which are now largely cut out, and as a consequence, there is increasing difficulty and labor each succeeding year in cutting and hauling logs. No observant man can mix among these small loggers and saw-mill workers without noticing the strained and drawn appearance of their faces and their overworked physiques due to the hardship of their lives. Moreover, it takes them nowadays all their time to make two ends meet. It is no wonder then they are kicking against the imposition of extra taxation on them to make good the extravagant spending which has come in vogue during the past few years.


August 3, 1914

Wedding Bells at the Methodist Church, Clarenville, on Thursday, July 23rd at 5 p.m. by the Rev. J.C. Winsor, Mr. Philip Stanley and Miss Mary Vardy were united in the holy bonds of matrimony. The bride’s trouseau was beautifully arranged. After the ceremony a reception was given at 7 p.m. in their new residence to upward of a hundred of their friends who wish them both an unbroken period of conjugal felicity. Miss Susie Stanley and Mr. W. Wiseman acted as chefs and made things hum at the reception room. Mr. P. Stanley was formerly a locomotive engineer with the  R. N. Co., and while working in that capacity gained a good knowledge of his work and was liked by all. His new home which he prepared for his happy young bride, is evidence enough that he considered the seriousness of that matrimonial contract before entering the field for better or for worse. Next to his young bride, we wish to congratulate him on his nice home and trust he will always enjoy the same. His present to the bride was a handsome gold watch and chain. Both were the recipients of many useful presents and all their friends here wish them many years of wedded bliss.  M.I.B 


October 2, 1914

ET 2 Oct 1914 Nfldr.  Killed in Quebec

Editor Evening Telegram.

Dear Sir. – The sad intelligence has just reached us of the untimely death of one of Terra Nova’s sons in the person of Mr. Joshua Gooby, at Quebec. About five and a half years ago Mr. Gooby left his home Queen’s Cove, Random, Trinity Bay, for Brooklyn, New York, USA., where he has since been employed as a carpentered. At Quebec was a ship which a short while ago had been rammed by another ship, and was needing repairs, and the company of which Mr. Gooby was an employee, undertook to carry out the contract. Mr. Gooby being one of their leading carpenters, was consequently sent over. Though no details have reached us yet, it is thought that at the close of his day’s work Mr. Gooby was returning from work in an automobile, when by some accident happening the machine he was unfortunately killed. The news of his death has come with sadness to all who knew him, as he was a man beloved and respected by all. He has left behind a wife and five children to mourn his death, and to add to the grief of his heart-broken wife, he was over in Canada when he met his death and she in America. Mr. Gooby was a man of genial disposition, a thorough man in every sense of the word. His tragic death has cast a gloom over his former home Queen’s Cove, and many beside his own family are to-day mourning his demise. To the grief-stricken widow and children we extend out deepest sympathy in this their hour of darkness and sorrow, and we earnestly pray that “He who came to bind up the broken-hearted” may speak to them His words of comfort, cheer and consolation. To his father and brother and sisters who are frantic with grief we also tender our deepest sympathy and for them we pray, and ask our Heavenly Father to teach them to say “Thy Will be Done.”

Yours sincerely

Kenneth G. Richards

St. John’s, October 1st, 1914.


November 4, 1914

 ET Nov 4 1914

Wedding Bells


Grate’s Cove was the scene of a very pretty wedding on Thursday last when Mr. T. Martin, of Grate’s Cove, and Miss Kathleen A Stringer, of Hodge’s Cove, T. B., were united in the bonds of holy matrimony by the Rev. E Higgit, Incumbent of Bay de Verde. The bride was very tastefully attired in cream crepe-de chene and carried a bouquet of sweet peas. The bridesmaids were Misses Maud Avery, Jane Noel, Lizzie Hodder and Virtue Benson, while Mr. E Martin, J. Hodder and C. W. Benson ably supported the groom. After the ceremony a reception was held at the residence of the groom; many friends of the bride and groom were present. Including Miss Bartlett, Miss A S Meadus, Miss M Carbery and Miss Doyle. Also Mr. F Martin and Mr. H F Mearvis. Both the bride and groom received many valuable and useful presents testifying to the esteem in which the young couple are held. Rev. Mr. Higgit delivered a short address after the ceremony on the beauty and dignity of the married life, and wished the young couple every joy and felicity and a smooth passage on the sea of matrimony in which wish the writer earnestly joins.


 January 22, 1915

ET 1915 January 22 Norman Avery Southport

Died on Train

Norman Avery, of Southport, T.B., who boarded the express at Bishop’s Falls at 10 p.m. yesterday, feeling ill, died on the train at 6 o’clock this morning. The remains were brought in by the express this afternoon, and taken to the morgue in charge of Detective Byrne. No particulars as to the nature of the man’s illness are at hand at the time of writing, but it is presumed that he had been working for the Central Forests Company in the lumber woods where he contracted a chill and was returning to his home at Southport. The remains will be confined at the morgue and sent to the deceased man’s home for interment by Undertaker Connolly.


Feburary 2, 1916


Minister of Justice Squires received a message last night from Hillview, Trinity Bay, informing him that the house of Eleazer Gosse of Queen’s Cove, Random, as well as the contents, including $200, was destroyed by fire on Sunday last, January 30th. The entire lose is estimated at about $1,000 and upon which there was no insurance carried.


February 12, 1916

“Within the Law”

At Northern Bight – the express which left here on Thursday evening made very poor progress owing to the inclemeney of the weather and was hung up at Northern Bight station Thursday night and all day yesterday. The Klark Urban Co., who were on board, gave an extempore production of “Within the Law,” which was much enjoyed by the villagers.


 July 4, 1916

  Labrador Sailings 

The following schooners left Trinity last week for the Labrador:- H.J. Bailey, Majestic, Seven Brothers, British Empire, Twilight, Garnet, Prowl, Freda D, Edith May, St. Joseph, Willie Martin, and Beatrice.


February 8, 1917

Official Report of Railway Tragedy

Gives Eight Second Class Passengers Dead

The final report of Monday’s train tragedy was given out by the Reid Newfoundland Company yesterday, and is as follows:-

Official Report. Reid Newfoundland Co. St. John’s. Feb. 7th, 1917. 11 p.m.

After making full enquiries it is known that the following passengers holding second class tickets were travelling in the second class car at the time of the derailment on Monday morning last, viz:-

From St. John’s – E. Button, J. Harries, Philip Hounsell, Levi Davis, James Young, J. Spracklin, James Noseworthy, Ben Basha, Thos. Stapleton, John Jacobsen (Norwegian)

From Brien’s – Dan Whelan

From Carbonear – A. Burden, H. Burden, T. Howell, D. Nicholl, J. Watts

From Arnold’s Cove – Mr. and Mrs. Moses Rodway, Eugene Woods

From Northern Bight – Ambrose Rodgers, Simon Rodgers

From Princeton – Robert Newell, Mrs. Frances Newell, Win Russell, James Russell

Total – 26 passengers

It has now been definitely ascertained that the following persons from the above list of passengers met their death when second class car on No 1 Express was burned near Glenwood on Monday morning: – Joseph Watts, Carbonear; Mr. and Mrs. Moses Rodway, Mussel Harbour Arm; Philip Hounsell, Pound Cove, near Wesleyville; Thomas Stapleton, St. John’s; John Jacobsen (Norwegian), St. John’s; Ambrose Rodgers, St. Jones Within; Simon Rodgers, St. Jones Within; making a total of eight passengers who have lost their lives.

Dr. Mitchell returned from Placentia junction to-day where he had made an examination of the remains and saw the bodies carefully wrapped and coffined.

Remains of Mr. and Mrs. M. Rodway were sent to their home, Mussel Hr Arm by way of Arnold’s Cove, by yesterday’s express. Remains of Joseph Watts sent to Carbonear by Shore train to-night. Remains of Thomas Stapleton being brought to St. John’s on to-night’s train. Remains of Philip Hounsell being sent to his home, Pound Cove via Gambo on to-day’s No. 1, the remains of Ambrose and Simon Rodgers are being sent to St. Jones Within via Northern Bight by to-morrow’s express and the remains of John Jacobsen will be buried at Whitbourne to-morrow.

The Victims

Mr. Thomas Stapleton of St. John’s was over 70 years of age and a mason by trade. He was on his way to Montreal to visit his daughters who are residing there. His remains reached the city by last night’s train and were taken to the home of his nephew, 29 Alexander Street, from where the funeral will take place.

Mr. and Mrs. Moses Rodway, of Mussel Hr. Arm, P.B., joined the train at Arnold’s Cove en route to Grand Falls. We learn from a gentleman in the city who attended their wedding that they were married in November of last year.

Philip Hounsell, of Pound Cove, was unmarried and was going to North Sydney.

Joseph Watts, Carbonear, married, in company with four others was en route to Nova Scotia to bring down a schooner recently purchased by a city firm.

Ambrose and James [Simon] Rodgers were brothers and belonged to St. Jones Within, T.B. and were going to Grand Falls to work in the lumber woods.

John Jacobsen was a Norwegian seaman and was going to North Sydney. He had been in the city for several months and boarded at the King George V Institute.


February 17, 1917

Further Accounts of Train Wreck

Further accounts of the train accident and death of eight persons last week, in St. John’s papers to hand, add little to the account as published by the Sun last week. The names of the dead now given: Thomas STAPLETON, Mason of St. John’s, aged 70. This is the man whom Mr. YOUNG thought was MOLONEY. John JACOBSEN, the young Norwegian sailor, and Ambrose and James ROGERS of St. Jones Within, T. Bay were four whose names we did not have. The Mail Clerks had a narrow escape. Just before the accident they put out one of their lamps and turned the other down. When their car rolled over this lamp went out, which was very fortunate for them, as they were drenched with oil from the lamps.

February 24, 1917

Electric Light for Railway

The Reid Newfoundland Company have decided to install a system of electric lighting on all their railway passenger cars. This decision will be generally approved and cordially welcomed by the travelling public. Experience – sadly enough an experience gained at the cost of eight human lives – has proved that the old method of kerosene lamps was dangerous in the extreme, though the many years freedom from accident might have been taken to indicate otherwise. The Company are to be commended for the promptness with which they have acted in this matter. Public anxiety will be allayed and there will be a feeling of satisfaction that after a few weeks at the most, a repetition of the terrible holocaust of a fortnight ago will be impossible – at least from the same cause. With steam heat and electric light, the danger of fire will be cut down to the ¼[this is where it ends!]


May 5, 1917

ET 1917 May 05 Sea Mystery

A Solution to Sea Mystery

Minister of Marine Piccott is in receipt of this message from Southport, T.B.: –

“The boat referred to in the Evening Telegram some time ago, is Green’s, of St. Jones’ Without, who went seal-hunting and had to leave the boat, coats and seals behind. He hoisted the sail as a signal in hopes she would be picked up and restored to the owner.”This solves the mystery surrounding the boat, which was picked up off Grate’s Cove, Bay de Verde District, recently, having driven there in the ice from St. Jones’ Without. It also accounts, we are glad to say, for the three men’s coats, which were found in the boat and are now at the Marine and Fisheries Office.


July 31, 1917

Wanted – for Hillview and Long Beach on Random Circuit, a Female Teacher with 1st Grade, also musical qualifications. Duties as follows: one quarter at Long Beach and remainder of term at Hillview. Apply to Chairman Methodists Board of Education, Hillview, Random South, T. Bay.


20 December 1917

Naval Reservist tells of Halifax Disaster

Mrs. Martha Peddle, of Hodge’s Cove, Trinity Bay, has received the following letter from her son, a Naval Reservist, who was on a ship in Halifax at the time of the explosion, and helped in the rescue work.

Halifax Dec. 7, 1917

Dear Mother,

Just a few lines to let you know that I am well and hope this will reach you all enjoying the same blessing for which we must thank God. Well, mother, I haven’t been in the navy long but I expect I have seen as big a disaster as ever anybody saw on the other side. Well mother, I can thank God that I an alive to-day which there are thousands that are not. About five minutes after nine Thursday morning there was a French ammunition ship ran into by a Belgian relief ship. The French ship had 4,000 tons of lightest explosives ever made come from America; you might be sure it was an explosion. Every window in Dartmouth was blown out. Buildings came down and there was two miles of Halifax burnt down. Just at the time of the explosion I was going on deck and I knew nothing before I pitched on the forecastle floor. Ivany jumped out of his berth and came on deck to see what happened and I said “For God’s sake, if you want to save your life don’t go on deck.” There was 12 of us Reserves here in Dartmouth and we were called up to Halifax as soon as possible and we hastened on but I can’t tell you what the sights were like. It is far beyond my description. I helped to get the wounded to the hospitals. There was an American hospital ship here at the time and she was filled and every school and hall and hospital in Halifax is filled. There was a sugar refinery here and there were two or three hundred men and women working in it at the time of the explosion and not one of them escaped. Well, mother, there was some heartbreaking cases here; in fact, mother, I didn’t think that I had nerve enough for anything but when I came to the test I could stick more than I saw; in fact I think a man can go through a lot more than he thinks he can. Well, mother, it shocked the whole land for over hundreds of miles, so you can imagine a little what the explosion was like; all the glassware and mugs were broken on our vessel; myself, Green and Chaulk got about 200 poor mortals dead and wounded out of a place that was burnt down; every second person in Dartmouth was wounded with glass, the glass was almost half our legs up in Dartmouth. The casualties now are 2,500 and they are bringing them from all parts of the town and hundreds they will never get. Well, mother, the poor little children, if you could only see them, their faces cut to pieces with glass. In Dartmouth, that’s about two miles from the explosion, in many cases there were families killed in their homes and every street in the end of Halifax were hundreds of men, women and children dying. Well, mother, we are to give God thanks that we are living in a better place like we are. It was as fine a morning as ever shone, not a cloud in the heavens when the accident happened. I was just getting ready to go ‘o Halifax for the mail when it happened. I can’t tell you any more but if I were home I could tell you something no doubt, so that’s all for this time. Say me to all the family.

From your loving son,

Harvey Peddle

P.S When the explosion happened first it was thought it was a German raid. While I was handling the men I didn’t mind it a bit, but when the poor women and children came it was hard you may depend, but I didn’t mind it a bit.

September 28, 1918
Along the Waterfront

J.S.G., Random, T.B., S. Bartlett Master, reached port Wednesday with a cargo fish for Hickman & Co. She will take a general cargo, leaving Thursday.

The R Grenfell [Grenville], Random, T.B., Geo Vey Master, arrived Monday with a load lumber for Barr.

The schr British Empire, Random, T.B., S.Vey Master, reached port Wednesday with a cargo of codfish for the new Spanish firm, owners of the Terra Nova and Andreas Roca. She is now at Bowrings wharf loading a general cargo for Port Union and will leave Thursday.


June 30, 1919

 article_clipping_0  Wedding Bells


A pretty wedding took place Sunday evening at the R.C. Cathedral, when ex-Private Bernard Shaw of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, Little Hearts Ease, was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Katie Hallern of St. Vincent’s, daughter of Frances and Mary Hallern. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Greene. The bride was charmingly attired in white silk with hat to match. She was attended by her cousin. Miss Florence Hallern, who was neatily attired in pink Georgette crepe and black picture hat. The groom was ably supported by Mr. Fred Newton, brother-in-law of the groom. After the ceremony the wedding party drove to the home of the brides brother, 15 Baxter’s Hill, when a reception was held and very enjoyable evening was spent. The bride was the recipient of many useful and valuable presents. We wish Mr. and Mrs. Shaw a bon voyage over the matrimonial sea.


 ET 1919 09 23 Fishing Boat Burned.


Hon. J. G. Stone, Minister of Marine and Fisheries, is in receipt of the following message from Southpoint, T.B. “Moses Baker, of Hearts East, coming from St John’s on Saturday night, boat took fire and was lost The boat contained an engine and fishing gear, valued at $700.00. The crew barely escaped with their lives.”




Transcribed by Wanda Garrett and Lester Green, September 2014

Updated by Wanda Garrett, April 2015; January 2016; January 2017

These transcriptions may contain human errors. As always, confirm these as you would any other source material.