The Evening Telegram – 1920s

April 1, 1920

Passed the Hundredth Milestone

On March 15th, Mrs. David Benson [Jane (Cooper) Benson], residing at Gooseberry Cove, Random South, Trinity Bay, celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of her birth, and notwithstanding this extra advanced age is hale and hearty, with every faculty unimpaired, and occasionally does hand sewing, at which the good lady is an adept. Her husband died twenty-three years ago, at the ripe old age of 81. Mrs. Benson is living with her daughter, Mrs. William H. Seward, at Gooseberry Cove, and of late years during the warmer months, keeps much in the outdoor atmosphere. Mr. A. G. Benson, Sub-Collector at Clarenville, and a grandson of this remarkable lady, who is, perhaps, the only centenarian in Newfoundland. Mrs. (Rev.) K. G. Richards, of New York is a granddaughter of Mrs. Benson. Mr. Richards is at present in charge of the Methodist Episcopal at Bay Port, Long Island.

Owing to the difficulty of travelling at the time when Mrs. Benson passed the hundredth milestone of life, those of her relatives and friends were living in Gooseberry Cove, was present to tender congratulations. If not out of place the Telegram wishes to join with the numerous relations, friends and acquaintances of Mrs. Benson in wishing many more turns of March 15th.


April 28, 1920

Evening Telegram, 28 April 1920 Finger Amputated.Yesterday at the residence of Mr. Robert Gardner, 69 Gower Street, a successful operation was performed by Drs. Anderson and Burden, when they amputated the little finger of Mr. Harry Peddle’s right hand, which had been crushed a week ago, while he was doing some work to a motor engine at Hodge’s Cove, T.B. Mr. Peddle has been staying at his sister’s home since coming here for treatment, and will be able to leave again for Hodges Cove in a few days.


November  1, 1921

Electrocuted in House.
John Churchill, son of Mr. Ambrose Churchill, of Prince of Wales Street, was Instantly killed at his home last night by the passage of an electric current through his body. His brother, Everett, who attempted to rescue him, received a severe shock. John Churchill, with his brother Everett, was digging out a cellar underneath his house and last night, when he was about to resume his digging he found that a light was necessary. He thereupon made a connection upstairs and lowered the light through the window to the cellar. He came downstairs and grasped the socket of the bulb to put the light through the window to the basement when he received the shock, which caused his death. Sometime during the day, by some person at present unknown, an umbrella frame was thrown across the electric wires on the street, causing them to ground, and forcing a heavy current. When the unfortunate man who was standing on the wet road, grasped the socket he made a complete circuit and the current passing through his body caused his death. Everett Churchill, heard the injured man scream and rushing to his assistance, attempted to sever the cord with a piece of board. He succeeded in doing so, but himself sustained a severe shock. Other people in the neighbourhood received more or less severe shocks during the day, and it was fortunate that none of them were standing on wet ground at the time.


December 7, 1921

Death and Destruction Wrought by Storm
Many Marine Disasters, accompanied by loss of life
…OTHER DISASTERS. Mr. W. R. Dove, of Steer Bros., received a message last night from Bay de Verde stating that the schooner “Willie Martin,” Willis [William] Martin, master, was a total wreck, but the crew had landed safely on the back of Bay de Verde. The vessel left Steer Bros’ wharf Monday morning for Little Heart’s Ease with a full cargo of provisions, and was lost in the storm while running for shelter. 


March 19, 1923

 Evening Telegram 19 Mar 1923 Sealer Died Suddenly.CAUSE DUE TO HEART FAILURE.

Capt. Wm. Bartlett of the S.S. Viking apprised Messrs. Bowring Bros. by wireless on Friday night that one of the crew, named George Hiscock, of Hodge’s Cove, T. B., had died suddenly of heart failure on board the ship. As soon as the sad intelligence had been received the relatives of the deceased were at once acquainted. A later message stated that the body will be kept in ice and will be-brought back by the steamer for burial. Deceased was in his 40th year, and is survived by a wife and family.


April 30, 1923

 Evening Telegram 30 Apr 1923 Body Sent Home.After the arrival of the S.S. Viking yesterday morning, Undertaker A. Carnell had of the remains of Mr. George Hiscock coffined and sent out by train to Hodge’s Cove, Trinity Bay. The late Mr. Hiscock died suddenly on board ship early in March, he was 50 years of age and married with a family.


October 27, 1923

Up Random and down the Sound


November 10, 1923

Early History of Hearts’ Ease


September 19, 1924

The Loss of Schooner Little Gem

Capt. D. Stoyles who lost his schr. Little Gem at Labrador during the early part of the month is at present in the city. He leaves in a day or two for the coast in an endeavour to locate the wreck and salve some of his fishing gear. The schr. Little Gem with about 35O qtls. codfish, left Pleasure Harbor about, 6 o’clock Friday morning, Sept. 6th, bound across the Straits. When about 5 miles east of St. Peter’s Islands Capt. Stoyles noting that the raising wind threatened a hurricane started to take in canvas and steer for Henley Harbor. In bringing his schooner to windward the foremast broke and about 14 feet of the spar with the two jibs and foresail came down bringing with it the main mast. Two of the crew were caught underneath the wreckage and Capt. Stoyles thought at first that they had been killed, but fortunately they escaped injury. The Captain’s son Albert, who was at the helm, was knocked down the companionway into the cabin by a piece of the topmast which hit him on the head and also smashed three spokes from the wheel. Although stunned by the blow he recovered after a short while. After the schooner was dismasted she became helpless. Heavy seas playing on her decks made it almost impossible for the crew to leave in safety. A quantity of oil was poured on the water and all were enabled to get aboard their motor boat, in which they reached the schr. Sarah M. Capt. Miller who landed them at Henley Harbor. The Little Gem had on board 320 qtls. codfish, five casks cod oil, two cod traps and all the necessary outfit for a fishing schooner. None of the cargo or outfit was insured and the loss to Capt Stoyles is a severe one.


June 26, 1925

Cleared for Fishery

The following  vessels have cleared from Trinity for the fishery:
….J.S.G., 40 tons, Capt. Silas Tucker, 14 persons on board, supplied by Steers, Ltd.;
R. Grenville, 37 tons, Capt. Geo. Vey, crew of 10, supplied by R. G. Rendell & Co.;
Royal Huntress, 76 tons, Capt. Stephen Barfett, 34 persons on board, supplied by Steers, Ltd.;
Exotic, 51 tons, Capt. William H. Smith, 18 persons on board, supplied by Baine Johnston & Co.;
Clarina, 43 tons, Capt James Jones, crew of 9, supplied by R.G. Rendell & Co.;
Petunia, 41 tons, Capt. David Stoyles, crew of 7, supplied by A. H. Murray & Co.;
G. Blanche, 16 tons, Capt. James Spurrell, crew of 5, supplied by A. H. Murray & Co.;
Mary M., Capt. Llewellyn Barfett, crew off 8, supplied by Bowring Bros.;
Jessie Florence, 45 tons, Capt. Wilson Stoyles, crew of 8, supplied by A. E. Hickman & Co.;
Lydia Gertrude, 21 tons, Capt. Alfred Humby, crew of 5, supplied by R. G. Rendell & Co.;
Bonnie Girl, 19 tons, Capt. Elijah Penney, crew of 4, supplied by self,

cleared for St. John’s;
British Empire, 42 tons, Capt. Simeon Vey, crew of 12, supplied by Bowring Bros.;
Edward 7th, 45 tons, Capt. Wilson Vey, crew of 10, supplied by Bowring Bros.;
Mary Kate, 35 tons, Capt. W. J. Vey, crew of 10, supplied by Bowring Bros.;


August 4, 1925

Personal – Messrs. William Campbell and George Cook left for Hatchet Cove, Trinity Bay, by to-day’s express on a visit of inspection to their lead property. Several men are at work on the claim, which gives every promise of success. The ore from this property is very high grade, assaying 86 p.c. lead and 5 p.c. silver to the ton.


December 14, 1925

Mr. James Shaw, formerly of Heart’s Ease, T. B., who left Newfoundland about three years ago. Mr. Shaw now resides in South Boston and was joined on Wednesday by his wife and two children, who arrived on the S.S. Newfoundland.


February 16, 1926

Daniel Shaw, formerly of Little Heart’s Ease, Trinity Bay, where his parents still reside. Mr. Shaw was overseas during the war in “D” Company. He left home about four years ago, and has since been engaged at structural iron work. At present he is working on the new Statler Hotel. Three years ago he visited Bay of Islands on the yacht “Cosse” belonging to a Boston millionaire, L. M. Crane. His brother, Peter left here by the S.S. Newfoundland to visit his parents, who will probably return with him.


Transcribed by Wanda Garrett and Lester Green, September 2014.

Updated October 2016; June 2019; December 2019

These transcriptions may contain human errors. As always, confirm these as you would any other source material.