The Evening Advocate, 1922

May 31, 1922


With the assistance of District Grants, it was found possible to meet some of the pressing demands for Telephone connection, and lines were erected to some of the most isolated sections during the year. It is represented that Telephone connection is of greater general service to a community than a ferry or even a road. Motor boats are being used more and more for conveyances, and many a long journey is saved because of Telephone connection. During the year, the following places were connected by Telephone: Lushe’s Bight to Cutwell, Norman’s Cove and Chapel Arm to New Harbour, Bunyan’s Cove and Port Blandford East to Port Blandford; St. Alban’s to Conn. River, Margaree to Channel, St. Jones Within and Hatchet Cove to Hillview and St. Jones Without to Hodge’s Cove.

At present, the Telephone work is performed by the Telegraph Staff, and when a telephone instrument in a station has become defective and cannot be worked, we find it cheaper to send out a new instrument and recall the defective one. Someone is found in most places, who can make the installation or connection, but it cannot be expected that the results are satisfactory. Our repairers and operators give good service in this respect. We have now 90 telephone stations and a growing demand for wireless stations, which emphasizers the fact that the time has come for a member of the staff to be appointed to give his whole attention to those Branches of the service.


September 13, 1922

Was 102 Years When Death Called Her

(To the Editor)

Pear Sir,-I wish to record the death of Jane Benson, which took place at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. H. Seward, on August 28th.

Deceased was the widow of David Benson of Hlllvlew, T.B. and had reached the great age of one hundred and two years (102). In spite of her great age she retained most of her faculties and was able to sit up in her room just a day or two previous to her passing, ln her activity she presided over a large household at Hlllview, and her home always afforded a warm welcome, to any who came that way.

For the past 29 years she resided with her daughter, who with loving care ministered to her wants to the last.

Her body was laid to rest in the C. of E. Cemetery at Heart’s Ease, the service being conducted by the Rev.  R.  Fowlow. All clases united to pay their last tribute to one who had enjoyed thelr love and respect for so many years. Sha left to mourn one daughter, and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. That she may find rest and peace for her soul Is the prayer of

Gooseberry Cove,
Sept. 1, 1922


Transcribed by Wanda Garrett. Page crested May 2021, Latest update September 14, 2021

These transcriptions may contain human errors. As always, confirm these as you would any other source material.