The Evening Herald, 1901

July 7, 1901


At Clarenville and vicinity the fishery to-date is the poorest for years while around N.W. Arm Random traps have done nothing and prospects are gloomy in the extreme.



July 8, 1901
(Editor Evening Herald.)

Sir, —A destructive fire in this place has just laid low the store and many of the belongings of Mr. Nehemiah Frost. He is thereby reduced to such straits that his business is entirely suspended. All his provisions, with the exception of a few barrels of flour, etc., were utterly destroyed. The fire originated from the contact of slaked lime and kerosene. In less than five minutes the whole building was wrapped in a sheet of flame and soon fell to the ground. Mr. Frost, as the public will probably know, is a deserving person, who has been striving midst past financial losses to build up a business in Random Sound. The present destructive fire has completely crippled him, for the loss is not less than one thousand dollars. Now sir, as I have been on the premises and understand to some extent the great loss sustained, I make this earnest appeal to the press and to the general public to assist a needy case, and a suffering person. I feel sure, sir, that the case will commend itself to your sympathy and to the sympathy of all; and if you could open a subscription list, I shall be grateful and the sufferer will be more so. Any particulars needed will be gladly supplied, and any assistance gratefully acknowledged by me or Mr. Frost.

Yours Sincerely,
Burnt Bay, N. D. Bay
P.S. —I may say that Mr. Frost himself was badly burnt in trying to save his goods.—C. A. W.
Northern Bight, July 5, 1901


November 18, 1901


In connection with the report that Geo. Barbour’s schr. ‘Nimbus’ was missing, it was rumored yesterday that the vessel was at Carbonear, Capt. Barbour went in her himself and did not go by train, having gone to the Ry. depot to see his wife leave for home, which gave rise to the report. As regards the schr. ‘Campania’ also reported missing, the last craft which met her was Jas. Styles’s, which was within hailing distance of her and parted with her about three miles north of Cape St. Francis. Styles arrived here Monday night last. He says the ‘Campania’ was then bound for Hr. Grace, where Mrs. Seward, the Captain’s wife, was to be taken on board, to go to Random, where the vessel was bound. On this vessel besides the crew

Were Eleven Passengers

including one woman. Capt. Seward’s daughter went to Bell Is. to see her sister and missed her passage in the craft, and Jno. and Wm. Balsam, brothers, who intended going on her, also remained ashore. If this craft is gone these people had narrow escapes. It was rumored yesterday that an oil barrel had been picked up at Baccalieu Island with the name of Rd. Seward, master of the ‘Campania” on it, but this is believed to be untrue and the opinion is held that both vessels have sheltered in some of the small harbors in Conception Bay. The vessel had supplies and herring barrels on board. The friends of Skipper Nathan Sparks of the schr. ‘Codseeker’, which also left this port Monday evening for Glovertown, B.B., feel anxious about him, as up to Saturday night his arrival had not been heard of. A man named Burry, in his schooner, left here with the ‘Codseeker’ but put back. It is to be hoped that all these vessels will be reported at their destinations, for, if any accident had occurred, the loss of life would be awful to contemplate.


The fears for loss of schrs. ‘Campania’ and ‘Nimbus’ are groundless. The former reached port safely, and without doubt the ‘Nimbus’ is home. W. B. Grieve, Esq., had no message from Mrs. Barbour, as stated by the ‘News’, and is of opinion that the vessel is safe, for if not, there would have been some inquiries regarding her from those interested in her arrival, as all knew when she left port.

Messrs. Baine Johnstone & Co. have no fears whatever for the safety of the schooners ‘Campania’ or ‘Nimbus’. As regards the former a message was received from Mr. Seward, father of the man on the vessel, asking if she had left. In reply W. B. Grieve instructed him to wire Carbonear as is was thought she had run up the bay out of the storm. Since then there has been no inquiry, and the vessel must have got home. As for the ‘Nimbus’ if she was not at Newtown by this time, Mrs. Barbour would have wired which she has not done.


Transcribed by Katie Alyward, October 2019

These transcriptions may contain human errors. As always, confirm these as you would any other source material.