The Evening Telegram, 1889

February 1, 1889

A deer-stalker badly injured
WOUNDED IN BOTH LEGS and Brought Home by His Comrades.

Shoal Harbor, This Afternoon. A serious shooting accident occurred on Tuesday last. Three men from Southwest Arm, Random Sound, went in the country deer hunting. They surrounded a herd of deer on a triangular plain. One of the men named Reuben Martin altered his position unknowingly, and got in line with his opposite comrade’s gun. As the deer passed between them the said comrade fired. He missed the deer, but the bullet struck Martin, passing through the flesh of one thigh and grazing the bone and inflicting a severe wound in the other, but did not lodge there. Martin ran about one hundred yards and fell fainting. Shortly afterwards he was discovered by his comrades who brought him home, a distance of forty miles. He is now doing well.


July 1, 1889

Fishery Operations in Different Parts of Trinity Bay. Very Good Work at Chapel Cove, Dildo Reach, &c. Plenty of Fish at Heart’s Ease on Saturday. A Gross Outrage by Mr. Adolphe Neilsen.
(Editor “Evening Telegram.”)
DEAR SIR,–On Wednesday last, the 26th inst., Mr. John Sansom arrived from Bay Bull’s Arm with a second trip of 35 quintals. Subjoined is an accurate and reliable report, as furnished your correspondent by Mr. Sansom.
Bay Bull’s Arm – Skipper Snook, 40 qtls. ; Noah Chisel, 50 to 60 qtls. ; four or five other traps, 10 to 40 qtls. Tickle Harbor Reach – seven or eight traps, 50 to 100 qtls. Chapel Cove – ten traps, 50 to 100 qtls. Dildo Cove and Reach – John Brazil and boys, 1 trap, 120 qtls. ; Pettie Bros. (2) 2 traps, 60 qtls. each; other traps from 12 to 60 qtls. each.
The smaller catches are attributable more to old and defective traps than to scarcity of fish. Judgement on the part of trap owners in the selection of fishing grounds has a good deal to do with the success or failure attending their operations.
Mr. Sansom reports the fishery as very good around head of Trinity Bay for the time of the year: that is, of course, with traps. Hook and liners are not so good. Plenty of fish can be seen on the bottom, but it will not eat. It appears to be either sick or glutted.
We are indebted to Mr. Henry Piercy, of the packet Louisa, for the following information anent the fishery at Heart’s Ease: – Fish struck in plentifully at Heart’s Ease on Saturday. James Seaward secured, with his traps, on Monday, 30 quintals: on Tuesday, 15 or 20. Joseph Seaward took between 30 and 40 quintals this week.
Nearly all the traps there are doing well. Seines are also taking fish.
I will, for the present, leave this subject, and draw your attention to an outrage perpetrated by Mr. Adolphe Neilson at the fish hatchery on Dildo Island.
The circumstances are as follows: – On Thursday, 20th inst., as most of your readers will remember, the wind blew a gale from the southwest. During the evening a poor fisherman, named Thomas Pettie, sought the shelter of Dildo Island and presumed to hitch his boat fast to the government or hatchery wharf.
The poor fisherman had, in the pursuit of his hazardous avocation, been doing battle with the unruly and contending elements since the early dawn. When “lo! At eventide,” by dint of hard rowing against wind and sea, in an almost exhausted condition, he brings his frail craft (an ordinary small black punt) to the haven or shelter afforded by Dildo Island. Gladly and thankfully does the poor man make fast his boat’s “painter” and proceed to light a fire in his little “galley” or fireplace, intending to procure for himself a warm drink and some refreshment, of which he stood so much in need. Before his fire had properly kindled, Mr. Neilsen appeared upon the scene. “Cast off that boat and leave this wharf immediately,” comes the unfeeling and inhuman command. “Yes, sir” replies the poor man, “as soon as I have boiled my kettle.” Still the storm was unabated in its fury, and the wind, in terrific gusts, taking up the water, drenched the occupant of the boat with spray. Being ordered from his place of safety, he casts about for some other sheltered spot where he could moor his storm-tossed shell.
Discovering none, he determined to “hold on” and await results.
Very early next morning Mr. Neilsen paid a second visit to the fisherman, and, Mr. Editor, horrible to relate, he actually CAST HIS PUNT AND HIMSELF ADRIFT. The punt was, by the force of wind and the raging surf, borne swiftly toward the shore. Once, during its mad career, it struck and the owner, thinking it had grounded, leaped overboard, and the boat passed over him. Upon recovering himself, the unfortunate man found he was standing to his neck in water. More dead than alive he waded ashore, only to be met by Mr. Neilsen, who savagely assaulted his victim, collared him and pushed him back into the water, using at the time language of the most violent and blasphemous character.
It is stated that the ill-used man, Mr. Pettie, will seek redress at the hands of the law. The people at Dildo and vicinity are greatly incensed over the affair.
What the ultimate consequences will be it is impossible to predict. Mr. Neilsen had better “have a care,” or he might have his eyes suddenly opened (or closed) to the fact that Newfoundlanders – the people who are heavily taxed to pay him his $3,000 a year – are not going to quietly submit to such treatment from his hands. If some of our old and broken-down fishermen are not able to defend themselves from the attacks of ruthless foreigners and adventurers, be it known that there are some of the young fry both willing and able to “toe the line” and treat Mr. Adolphe Neilsen to an exhibition such as he never witnessed during all his hatching days in Norway. Thanking you for your space, Mr. Editor, I am, yours,
Scilly Cove, Trinity Bay, June 28, 1889.

July 1, 1889
 Plenty of Fish Heart's Ease_July 01 1889_2_Eveneing TelegramFishery Operations in different parts of Trinity Bay

Plenty of Fish at Hearts Ease on Saturday

We are indebted to Mr. Henry Piercy, of the packet Louisa, for the following information anent the fishery at Heart’s Ease:- Fish struck in plentifully at Heart’s Ease on Saturday. James Seaward secured, with his traps, on Monday, 30 quintals; on Tuesday, 15 or 20. Joseph Seaward took between 30 and 40 quintals this week. Nearly all the traps there are doing well. Seines are also taking fish.



July 15, 1889, page 4

Dangers of the Deep
The “Orion” in Contact with the Rocks
Thrilling Experience of her Officers and Crew
Gazing in the face of death.

We have had occasion more than once to speak in commendatory terms of the record of Captain Edmund Seward as a planter and banking commander; he it is who is associated with the take of the jubilee trip on the Grand Bank two years ago. At present comes mention of an action which speaks volumes for the man’s skill and bravery in circumstances of peril on the sea, and heroism and integrity of character. These qualities were strikingly brought out during his last run from this port to his home, Fox Harbor, Trinity Bay. He had arrived here toward the end of last week in his schooner, the Orion, 96 tons, from the Banks, with five hundred quintals of fish on board, and, having received some needed articles of outfit, started for home. About ten o’clock on Saturday night they ran out of the wind; the tide and sea bore the vessel near the land. They cast anchor, but before she brought up, her mainboom struck the cliff and broke off. At the same moment, the vessel being swayed to and fro violently in the raging surf, the stern was stove in. In that supreme moment captain and crew felt that they were gazing in the face of death, but their resolution to battle for their lives never faltered. Captain Seward gave the word of command, ” Every man is at liberty to do the best he can to save his life.” They apprehended that the craft’s spars would next strike the cliff and go by the board, leaving them standing on a helpless, sinking hulk. This, however, did not happen; if it had, it would have been all over with them and their schooner, too. They managed to launch their dories and abandon the doomed craft. While laying by they saw the schooner give a spring outward, clear of the line of imminent peril, and then she settled back again into her former position, the anchor still holding her fast. The captain addressed his crew: if they would board the schooner with him they would save her yet; but none would volunteer except the two who were in the dory with the captain. As Gooseberry Cove and Heart’s Ease were nearby, the rest of the crew went for shelter there in the two dories they had manned, leaving the captain and the two hands with him standing by the tempest-tossed vessel. For some time Captain Seward stood watching his schooner being slowly ground to a wreck by the relentless surge. Eventually he prevailed on the two men to land him on board. The first thing he did was to weather-bit the chain and bar the companion doors. He was then alone; not a single man of his crew of twenty had the courage to go so far as their daring commander. He took off his clothing to be prepared to jump into the sea and swim for his life in the last emergency. Happily this was averted; the anchor held the vessel securely from drifting further. He then tried to unshackle the chain, and would have saved his vessel in ten minutes if could he have done so, but it was impossible; there were no means to enable him to liberate the rusty link. By this time the schooner was leaning very heavily against the cliff, and the captain was then on board three quarters of an hour, trying in vain, single-handed, to effect the release of his ship. He then asked his two men in the dory to come on board and assist him, and they did so. Within another half hour he had the chain unshackled, and the end being let go, the schooner came out “from the jaws of death” in safety. She was very much broken in about the stern and quarter to within six inches of the level water. The steering gear was broken, but the vessel underneath was intact. Captain Seward managed to steer his rescued schooner with the pump bar, for, although a frightful sea pitched in against the land, yet, without, a smooth swell prevailed. In a few minutes he had his vessel at safe anchorage in his own port of Fox Harbor, close to which the stranding occurred. The pumps were tried and no water was found in the hold. Captain Seward at once mailed particulars to his owners here, the firm of Edwin Duder, Esq., stating that he had his vessel under repair, and would be ready to sail again the next Friday (12th instant).


September 25, 1889


Notes from our Correspondent at Scilly Cove.

Some of Capt. Seaward’s crew were here on Saturday evening; they were at Fox Harbor on Friday, and when the Heart’s Ease packet made her appearance off that harbor the rumor was set afloat that Sir W. Whiteway and party were on board. Immediately the place was alive with bunting, and guns and gunpowder was brought to the front all ready for action. ‘Tis a pity those brave fellows were disappointed, as Sir William was then in another part of the district.

Quite a contrast that to the reception which was prepared for Sir Robert and party at Heart’s Content. There was not the sign of a flag in any direction; and as for a gun, why there was not even a firecracker!


November 6, 1889, page 4

Married … At the Gower Street Parsonage, by the Rev. Geo. Boyd, on the 5th inst., Moses Wilcox, of Western Bay, to Mary Jane Hiscock, of South West Arm.

Transcribed by Lisa Garrett, Wanda Garrett and Lester Green, September 2014; Last update March 2022

These transcriptions may contain human errors. As always, confirm these as you would any other source material.