Fish Factory, Butter Cove

 
 

c1960

Arthur Spurrell (1915-2010) built a Fish Factory at Butter Cove in the 1950’s. This factory operated for 12 years during the 1950’s and 1960’s. At that time, Arthur bought all the fish from local fishermen and his operation was the first in the area to purchase fresh fish, split it and cure it with salt. W. W. Wareham from Harbour Buffett, Placentia Bay would then send schooners to pick up the cured fish. Photo take c1960.