The Front Room

If you have photos of items you wish to contribute to this page, please email them to info@swahsociety.com along with a description of each item in the photos. (Note: Click on the thumbnail to open a larger view of the photo.)

 

 Vintage wooden cigarette box owned by Peter Shaw, LHE. (1930s) Vintage wooden cigarette box owned by Peter Shaw, Little Heart’s Ease, 1930s
 Wooden cigarette box with hole cut to fit over belt. Wooden cigarette box with hole cut to fit over belt. (Owned by Peter Shaw, Little Heart’s Ease, 1930s)
 Wooden cigarette box with storeage for several ciraettes Wooden cigarette box with storeage for several cigarettes. (Owned by Peter Shaw, Little Heart’s Ease, 1930s)
 Vintage Hella Soundbox gramophone  owned by Peter and Monica Shaw. Vintage Hella Soundbox gramophone owned by Peter and Monica Shaw.
 Vintage Hella Soundbox Vintage Hella Soundbox gramophone owned by Peter and Monica Shaw.
 11665714_10154067784060656_7842595519879529753_na  Brownie camera owned by Emma (Avery) Drodge
 20150912_135218  Argus Carefree Magicube camera owned by Alvenia (Green) Laite. This camera was produced in the US in the early 1970s and was used to take photos in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
 20150912_135211  Kodak instamatic X-15 owned by Helen (Smith) Green. A 126 Kodiak camera manufactured between 1970-1976. It was the last of the US instamatics to be produced. The flash was known as a magicube and flash range of 4 to 7 feet.
 20150912_115703 Vintage binoculars owned by Ron Martin.
 20150912_115636 Clock belonged to James Stoyles of Hillview, approximately 150 years old. Currently owned by Ron Martin.
 180a Vintage 4 chamber glass liquor decanter bottle owned by Levi and Myra Churchill.
 Picture of the Last Supper owned by William and Gertrude Spurrell Picture of the last supper owned by William and Gertrude Spurrell.
 Picture of The Caribou Picture of The Caribou
 Decorative vase from early 1900's, owned by Minnie Seward Spurrell Murphy (1884-1968) Decorative vase from the early 1900s owned by Minnie (Seward) Spurrell Murphy. (1884-1968).
 Aladdin lamp from the 1950's Aladdin lamp from the 1950s. Owned by Elaine (Peddle) Spurrell.
 IMG_4396 Plaque given to Minnie (Seward) Spurrell Murphy by her son, Andrew Spurrell.
 IMG1_4394 Plaque owned by Minnie (Seward) Spurrell Murphy.
 Tobacco tin from the 1950's 14 oz pipe tobacco tin from Larus & Brother Company, Inc., c1950s. Contents: Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia. Owned by Elaine (Peddle) Spurrell.
 DSCN4229  No. 0 Brownie Model A box camera. Manufacturer was Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, NY. These cameras were introduced in 1914 and discontinued in 1935. They are card and wood construction; have two reflecting finders; hinged back with triangular catch. Film-advance indicated by red window. Format – 1 ⅝” x 2 ½” exposures on 127 roll-film. The original owner was Mary Ann (Mamie) Vey Smith (1914-2007). She gave this camera to her daughter, Shirley (Smith) Jennings about 1943.
 P1030775P1030779 This Zenith Trans Oceanic multi-band radio (c1947) was purchased in 1951. It weighs about 6 kg. It is owned by Bud Strong.
009 In 1939, this Colonial gramophone was purchased by Jacob and Mary Susanna Brown of North West Brook from a firm in Toronto, and was shipped to the owner’s residence. It could play the three kinds of records: 78 rpm, 33 rpm, and 45 rpm, using the plastic insert at the centre. Notice the wind-up handle at the right. The item was inherited by grandson William J. (Bill) Baldwin.
IMG_20141225_080033 This pillow was given to Corinne Drover this Christmas (2014) from her sister-in-law. The original owers were Corinne’s parents-in-law, Terry and Ray Dilkie. Mrs. Dilkie was a King from New Bonaventure and her sister was Kathleen Smith of Hodge’s Cove. Mrs. Dilkie visited Hodge’s Cove often in the sixties and seventies.Kathleen Smith provided additional information on this pillow. She informed us that her sister, Mrs. Dilkie, received the pillow from their mother, Clara (Peddle) King, as a Christmas gift. It was purchased at Hodge’s Cove Co-op. These satin cushion covers were quite popular as souvenirs. Mrs. Clara King received a  similar Air Force souvenir cushion from Terry when she was a member of the armed forces. That one would have been purchased in the early fifties, the one owned by Corinne would have been purchased several years later.
three A wooden pipe and pipe tray found when the pond was drained at Heart’s Ease Beach in 1990.  (Items are in the possession of Leslie Dean)
six A clay pipe found in a caplin trap off Heart’s Ease Beach.  (It is in the possession of Leslie Dean)