Orion

Reprinted from The Evening Telegram, May 15, 1889

 

NATIVE SHIPBUILDING.

Description of Schooner “Orion.”

It is always a source of pleasure to us to notice the specimens of really first-class schooners which represent the skill and labor of the people in Northern shipyards winter after winter. The one under consideration now was built in Random, Trinity Bay, the past season, by Mr. Joseph King, and is of such a substantial character that her builder, at all events, need not fear the inspection of a Lloyd’s Surveyor or any other man. She is a two-topmast schooner of ninety-six tons; her frame is of juniper, seasoned; below the water line her planks are of birch, two and one-half inches thick; her topsides are of three-inch juniper. Each plank is fastened with galvanized nails and at both ends with butt bolts; beside, five thousand treenails are employed throughout the hull. The masts are of American white pine. Her name is the Orion, and she will carry nine sheets of canvas, namely: fore and main sails, two gaff topsails, one topmast staysail, and four jibs. A tank capable of containing one thousand gallons of water, which may be used as ballast, has been constructed in her hold. It is while looking at her Hues, broadside on, that one is struck with her clipper-like proportions; for’ad her bows taper away clean and sharp; her stern is of the oval pattern. This vessel is an undoubted credit to the part of the colony where she was turned out. She is owned by Captain Edmund Seward, who, as the taker of the Jubilee banking trip in the schooner Queen Victoria, two years ago, has already found mention in these columns. He will command the Orion at the Bank fishery this year, and will use nine dories.

Schooner Orion_Captain Edmund Seward_Evening Telegram_May 15, 1889

___________________

These transcriptions may contain human errors. As always, confirm these as you would any other source material.

Transcribed by Lester Green, March 2016